Friday, November 27, 2009




St. Jerome on the Psalms 

Dear Catholics,

There is nothing new under the sun, that is for certain. There is, however, always some beautiful reflection that is forgotten for many years, even centuries. Knowing now through the mouth of a priest in referring to the Modernists, that "they got rid of the Fathers of the Church", it seems imperative to bring forward the wisdom of the Fathers en force. For your spiritual benefit, I offer this bit of food from the holy father St. Jerome, on the vanity of our thoughts. 
 "Do you need proof that the thoughts of men are vain? A father and mother rear a son; they look forward with great promise to the fortune and happiness that he will bring them; they send him to school, give him the best education; he comes of age and they even arrange for his military service. After thirty years of careful and matured planning, along comes a slight fever and that is the end of all their schemes. I have an enemy with whom I must go to court, and the day of the trial is thirty days off; day and night I do nothing but prepare my defense. When I am in bed, all I do is frame answers to the charges of my enemy who is absent. My enemy is not present but my words are answering him as if he were. I rehearse in this way for days and nights. When the day of judgment arrives, however, all my carefully planned debate vanishes and I answer only what God inspires. That is precisely why the Lord says in the Gospel: 'And when they bring you before the magistrate, do not be anxious how or wherewith you will defend yourselves, or what you shall say, for the Lord will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.' 'The Lord knows the thoughts of men, and that they are vain.' One preoccupation alone is worthwhile and wholesome- thinking about the Lord." 
   Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home